Day 18, Friday, February 15th, 2013


A fine sunny morning, dawned our eighteenth day. I had my data review conference scheduled for the afternoon, but the morning was ours to squander, and squander we did. After lunch, just as we were getting ready to head off to the SCCA, my scheduling coordinator called to let me know that the review conference had been pushed back another week. Sudden free time! Achievement unlocked! Bleep bloop!

A second call from Anne, who was meant to be my regular nurse, but has been on holidays, informed me that the reason for the delay is because the pathologist who was to review my biopsies, as well as the doctor who specializes in T-cell lymphomas, have both also just returned from vacation. They need time to be consulted.

I walked down to the SCCA anyway, because they had a pass to the Experience Music Project, or EMP (Which Mom keeps calling the 'emporium.' Adorable.), for us. This is one of the interesting buildings in the lee of the Seattle Space Needle. Now, one can make the argument that many, many buildings fall into the lee of the Space Needle, so I will be more specific: the EMP is located near the base of the spire, just to the North and the East, to the Northeast, one might say. It was a lovely day to be out walking, and I fell into step behind a couple of construction workers on my way back with the pass. They were both about my height, build, and hair colour. In fact, if you just imagined me twice in different pairs of Carhartts, you'd have a reasonable picture. They seemed to be going my way, so I let them lead. Where they turned, I turned, when they stopped for coffee, I stopped for coffee. But this was where our paths diverged. They continued going wherever it was that me-clones who are into construction go at three in the afternoon in Seattle, and I turned the corner and went back to the SCCA House.

When I got back, Mom was on the phone with the people who operated the harbour cruise that we'd also gotten a weekend pass for. Once off the phone, we debated going on the cruise or going to the EMP, but once we'd made up our minds it was a little too late to properly make it to either of them, so we reformulated our plans. Mom donned her workout gear and went to the in-building gym. I donned mine and went to the roof to practice Wushu. The SCCA House is six stories high, so I doubt many people saw me except for a few nearby apartment buildings and the glass towers to the south. I hope they enjoyed me Karate Kid-ing around for a while.

The roof of the SCCA House is accessible by stairs or by elevator. It has a long path and a small seating area made of dark wooden beams, with a couple of tables, and is clearly meant to be enjoyed by the residents. To the best of my current knowledge, I am the only resident who has enjoyed it during our time here.

Afterwards, I read in a sunbeam until the sun went behind the apartment building to the West (because that is where the sun sets, yes, you hush), then we went to Paddy Coyne's Irish pub, just around the corner, for supper.

Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love, and got married. The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was excellent.

Comments

Popular Posts