I love the smell of CT in the morning.

I started my day by getting up promptly at 6:30, eating a lovely little breakfast, dropping my roommate off on campus and then toodling on over to the Cancer Centre to get my foot imaged. Yes, I started the day with a CT scan, a.k.a. a CAT scan, a.k.a. X-ray computed tomography.

The whole affair took about an hour, during which time I had a team of fresh new faces taking some serious ganders at my admittedly grody foot (I mean, it still hasn't healed up yet; matters made worse by my dressing it for my first day of classes - the entire scabbed surface came off with the bandages. It caused a significant amount of pain for a day and a half). They got me into the position that I will be assuming for the next three weeks, fitted me with a sort of custom pillow that will ensure that there are no complications with uneven exposure due to my moving around, and then gave me six teeny-tiny tattoos. The tattoos will further aid in the lining up of said foot.

The pillow was kind of cool, actually - it was a purple vacuum bag filled with polystyrene pellets. You put your appendage on it, and they push pellets to where they'll offer the most support, then they suck all of the air out of the bag, conforming it to you.

Starting on the 14th of September, I will be doing daily local radiotherapy on my left foot, in an attempt to stem the influence of the non-Hodge on the region. I won't be able to walk on my foot for another two months, but hey, what's two more at this point? It's already been four months, I've already more or less missed out of summer. All I ask is that I get to be off crutches by the time the snow flies.


Comments

Popular Posts