Day 156, Monday, July 1st, 2013

Happy Canada Day, everyone!

In medically expatriated celebration of our national day of pseudo-pride, Ash and I made poutine with mushroom gravy, as pictured below. It was delicious. She spent approximatly twenty minutes, post-ingestion, drawing a maple leaf in the gravy leavings with her fork, at first, but soon gave up on the utensil as an art tool, opting for torn fragments of paper towel. It turned out rather well, all things considered.



This being the land of the free and the home of the brave, though the definitions of such things appear to vary wildly from person to person and state to state, the simple existence of Canada Day is neither well-known, nor well-celebrated, and I found myself having to give many people a basic run-down of the nominally entailed experience, which is to say that I explained that we, as a people, make unhealthy food and look at fireworks, while feeling vaguely nationalistic. Our national pride is comparatively null, when registered against the sort of patriotic fervor that surrounds the upcoming Fourth of July celebrations, this Thursday. I'm actually quite looking forward to my first Independence day, for the simple fact that I assume that a large centre like the Greater Seattle Area will upend a significant amount of money in the form of an annual pretty-sky-explosion stipend to facilitate the titillation of the masses. Further, this mass titillation is set to add temporary horizon-based colouration from Lake Union, a mere six or seven blocks North of the SCCA House. We plan to hie and hence ourselves seven stories up to the wonderfully accessible roof of said domicile, where we should have a fairly unobstructed view of the celebratory kablams.

In the intervening seventeen days since my last post, there have been very little in the way of substantial medical happenings. I did develop some graft-versus-host-disease, mostly characterized by a spate of individual, but clustered, reddish dots on my upper thighs and torso; and further, by the refrequenting of my bowels by the phantom of the fearfully faithless flatulence, which is to say the return of the untrustworthy petard. To be fair to my bowels, there was a sort of cold-war-esque pact of mutually acknowledged distrust, wherein they didn't actually try to slip anything past my defenses under the guise of great urgency, and I didn't attempt to pass anything while not seated upon porcelain. It turns out that mutually assured destruction works better between you and your descending colon than between nuclear powers. In accordance with the development of GVHD, I was given a trio of oral steroids, one, the temporary panacea of prednisone, the other a pair designed to coat and sooth the upper and lower gastro-intestinal tracts. They've done their jobs well, and I feel generally far more composed, energetic, and able to broaden my food inputs to a pleasantly enjoyable level once more. Similarly, my skin has cleared up wonderfully.

The prescription of steroids to counteract the GVHD had the extremely pleasant effect of rendering me energetic enough to adventure once more, albeit in my continuingly limited fashion: I am still under orders to avoid crowds and crowded venues, so while Ash and I have been exploring and enjoying the area, we have been doing it during off-peak hours, and at off-peak events. No Pike Place Market for us, though Target and the nearby Regal Cinema have been frequented.

We took in World War Z, which diverged wildly from the book, seemingly deliberately acquiring plot-holes as it went on. For all that, not a terrible movie.

We also ventured down to the Chihuly Glass Museum, which sits in the lee of the Space Needle, and has some pretty neat stuff, though most of the other patrons spent significantly more time looking through the viewfinders of their phones and iPads than actually using their inborn optics to appreciate the artwork. My favourite pieces were the incredibly lifelike sea creatures. Sadly, these works did not feature the Mantis Shrimp.


Chihuly himself looks sort of like pudgy-pirate-Garfunkel, or, for a more topical reference, the neighbour from That 70s Show, sporting an eye patch.

Mostly, Ash and I have simply been enjoying each other's company, and doing a lot of both walking and sitting on the roof, enjoying the ridiculously nice weather Seattle's been showing off lately. It's been a great time, and it is simply a treat to be in each other's presence after so long apart, especially since we'd already promised ourselves no more long distance once, after she finished up in the UAE.

We had wanted to check out the Pride Parade, since, especially after SCOTUS slapped down a good portion of DOMA, this would have been a heck of a parade to see in person, but the projected crowds were immense (this was borne out by the actual crowds), so we opted merely to read about it online. Ash did make a trip down to Whole Foods during the parade, and while it was not part of the actual parade route, she said that the store and sidewalks were absolutely packed with happy couples and many, many children in rainbow face paint, all of whom were having an obviously wonderful time.

If I were going to live anywhere in the United States of America, I think it would be Seattle. The food's great, the weather suits me fine, the culture of the area suits me better than the weather, and it is an amazingly accepting place. Honestly, the single biggest factor that stops me from even considering it in the long term (you know, once I actually get around to finishing university) is that the Americans pay teachers slave wages, and I'm not moving anywhere without Ash, whose primary vocation is teaching. It's just not happening.

"And when there were three sets of footprints, that's when I realized Jesus was actually two little kids in a trenchoat."

            - Steve Mieczkowski (@igotsmarts), via Twitter

Comments

Popular Posts